There is a great debate between satin and silk hair accessories – but what’s the difference? Is one better than the other?
We all know now that looking after your hair is more than finding the right shampoo and conditioner. Satin and silk hair accessories are growing in popularity by the day with silk pillowcases and scrunchies becoming the must-have accessory, but is there really any difference in their ability to protect your hair?
How does silk and satin benefit your hair?
- Your hair experiences less moisture loss. Unlike cotton, these fabrics don’t absorb as much moisture so for example a silk pillowcase absorbs less moisture than a regular cotton pillowcase, reducing frizz and ensuring that hair and skin is kept hydrated
- The friction between your hair and the pillowcase is decreased. A cotton pillowcase can be as damaging to your hair as a bath towel! Using softer materials doesn’t roughen up the cuticles as much
- Your hair stays cleaner. Satin and silk don’t soak up oils, product, or anything else which might coat your hair or inspire a breakout.
ADVANTAGES OF SILK OVER SATIN
- It’s better for your hair. While both materials are better for hair than regular cotton, silk is considered the better material of the two. This is because of its natural fibres when compared to satin, which does not boast these same qualities.
- It doesn’t involve synthetic materials. It’s a natural fibre, for those who wish to keep their beauty routine ’au natural’.
- It’s hypoallergenic. It’s naturally resistant to fungus, mould, mites, and allergens.
ADVANTAGES OF SATIN OVER SILK
- It normally costs a third to half the price of silk.
- It’s more readily available. Since satin is created from common materials like polyester, it’s much easier to find it.
- It is much easier to clean. You can throw a satin pillowcase into the wash with the rest of your laundry, unlike silk which should be hand-washed.
- It might be softer. You might actually prefer the feel of satin because it tends to be silkier than real silk.
So there we have it! They both have their own benefits depending what you’re looking for. Now you can decide which is better for your hair and lifestyle and shop some fab Satin and Silk accessories from Only Curls.
Our personal favourites from each range at Amor magazine are:
Keep your gorgeous curls intact with these 100% mulberry silk elasticated scrunchies. These super cute hair accessories smooth silk fabric helps reduce tangles, breakage and frizz. They also come in a range of colours.
Wake up to gorgeous hair with this fully lined, sleek Satin Sleep Turban. Regular cotton pillowcases zap moisture from your hair and roughen up the cuticle. This creates dryness, frizz and disrupts the curl pattern. Satin absorbs significantly less, leaving moisture levels intact.
So guys and gals, give them a go and see which works best for you in the debate – Satin or Silk?