With it being National Chocolate Week, we’ve got six ways on how to enjoy chocolate healthily.
1. The healthy rule for dark chocolate is the more bitter it is, the better it is! 99% chocolate although expensive, sour and dry on the palette when followed by a swig of strong black coffee, is honestly a melt in the mouth delight!
2. Dark chocolate is loaded with disease fighting antioxidants, in fact in a much higher volume than some other “superfoods”. However, as always everything in moderation. Your body will adapt and will be satisfied with one square per day.
3. Dark chocolate contains a similar chemical that the brain produces when falling in love. This is called Phenylethylamine and it therefore releases endorphins which are a natural antidepressant. This does not give you the green light to shovel bars of it down your neck, just a little piece is plenty.
4. For a healthier hot chocolate, use a healthy meal replacement shake or a post workout shake (chocolate flavour of course). Mix up your shake cold as normal, pour into a mug and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. This way you feed your body with all the macronutrients, vitamins and minerals of your shake but also satisfy your sweet craving. Having it before bed fuels your muscles whilst you sleep!
5. Chilli Chocolate and Peanut Power Porridge
4 heaped tbsp. organic oats
250ml Dark chocolate flavour almond milk or unsweetened almond or soy milk
1/2 your normal serving of post workout shake powder (chocolate flavour if you want a double choc hit)
1 tsp peanut/almond butter (no added salt or sugar)
A few chopped peanuts
Pinch of chilli powder
Shake the post workout shake, milk and chilli powder together and pour over the oats. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add the peanut almond butter before serving. Sprinkle with a few extra chopped peanuts and enjoy!
6. Easy Healthy Chocolate Mint Milkshake
Small handful of fresh spinach
Small handful of fresh blueberries
A tablespoon of fresh mint leaves (optional)
200ml Coconut milk
1 1/2 tablespoons of organic cacao powder
Handful of ice
Put all ingredients into a blender and blitz into a smooth consistency. Pour into your favourite glass and garnish with a mint leaf.
Words: The Six Pack Revolution, Scott Harrison (@thesixpackrevolution)