Today (April 22nd) is marks the annual event called Earth Day!
What is Earth Day?
Good question – Earth Day is an annual event on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. Originally held on April 22, 1970, it now includes a wide range of events coordinated globally by EarthDay.Org including 1 billion people in more than 193 countries.
What can we do to help?
In simple terms – a lot! There are countless things that we can do to help today and every day. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant; it can be something so small, a change we don’t even recognise or have an impact on our daily lives. Here are some ways that we can help to make a difference to protect our beautiful planet.
Switch to eco-friendly/sustainable products
Switching to eco-friendly or sustainable products can make a huge difference to the pollution and production of non-sustainable products on the market. For example, why not switch your non-reusable plastic razors for a reusable razor that only requires a new blade.
Reusable safety razors are incredibly wasteful as they need to be replaced every few weeks, or at least one a month. The EPA estimates that about 2 billion disposable razors are tossed out every year. And if you are getting a new razor once every 2-4 weeks, you could be contributing over 100 razors and/or blades to that pile.
Stainless steel safety razors are the best eco-friendly alternative to it, the only thing that needs replacing is the stainless-steel blades, which are easily and widely recyclable. All you have to do is change the blade, and even then, it is recyclable.
Most razors are made with some kind of plastic. This can be an issue as plastic can take thousands of years to degrade if it does at all. Earth Bits have created a stainless-steel safety razor with a bamboo handle. Bamboo is a fast-growing material and is very stable. It will last a long time, and when it is done, the bamboo in the handle can be composted.
This is a great way to reduce the amount of waste that one produces annually. Easily recyclable, they are a much better alternative to plastic razors. If you treat your razor well, the blades will stay sharper for longer and it will really help not only save money, but also the planet! Unisex, great for all, and available to purchase for £16.95.
Most brands are now producing product refill bags rather than selling solely plastic bottled products which is amazing! We fully encourage you to purchase product refill bags rather than a brand-new bottle which creates so much more plastic in landfill.
Besides refill bags, the re-emergence of soap bars has become increasingly popular on the market. Not only are they cost effective, but they also last longer than the average bottled soap, and they are kinder to the environment.
Brands are now producing a new product that has become popular on the market – shampoo bars! That’s it, you heard it right, bars of shampoo. Looks exactly like a bar of soap, but it lathers, smells, and works as effectively as liquid shampoo. The solid shampoos are 100% plastic, silicone and sulphate free. Each shampoo bar also contains 31.3g less plastic than the liquid shampoo equivalent!
Many brands have created these shampoo bars, the ones that we love here at Amor are the shampoo bars by L’Occitane.
They come in 3 delicious scents each designed to tackle different hair types:
- For normal to Oily hair
- For an intense and invigorating burst of freshness
- Provides purifying action for the scalp
- Intensely cleans the hair, eliminating excess sebum so hair remains fresh all day long
- For damaged hair
- Contains sunflower oil, rich in vitamin E, to intensely protect and nourish damaged, brittle hair
- Protects hair that has been damaged from excessive brushing, exposure to heat, the sun and colouring
- Presence of oat amino acids improves hair structure and repairs split ends
- Reveals radiant hair with a natural shine that is noticeably softer to the touch after use!
Gentle & Balance
- For all hair types Gently cleanses the hair
- Contains PDO Lavender for a truly relaxing haircare experience, and probiotics to preserve the scalps natural hydration mechanism
- Reveals hair that is clean, soft, supple, shiny and lightly fragrant
Launching May 13th, these are not to be missed at £10 a bar!
There are so many other ways in which you can help to protect our environment. These are just some simple ways that you probably wouldn’t even notice in your daily routine that can make a huge difference.
Other ways can include:
- walking or cycling instead of driving,
- choosing low emissions or electric cars,
- using flasks rather than plastic bottles,
- choosing eco-friendly/sustainable products
Let’s save our planet, one step at a time!