Sweet and Sour Pumpkin
Serves 4-6 people
- 750g yellow-orange pumpkin, with skin
- Plain all-purpose flour, for dusting
- Olive oil for shallow frying
- 6 large fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary needles
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the pumpkin and cut it first into 10cm sections, then into thin slices.
- Dust the slices with flour.
- Add enough olive oil to a medium frying pan so it is 1cm deep. Place over a medium heat then fry the pumpkin slices until golden on both sides. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- In a ceramic dish, make layers of the pumpkin slices, interspersed with the sage leaves and rosemary needles.
- Put the vinegar in a small pan along with the garlic and some salt and pepper. Briefly bring to the boil.
- Pour the hot vinegar over the layers of pumpkin in the dish. Leave for a few hours for the flavours to combine before serving.
Credit: Recipe taken from Antonio Carluccio’s latest cookbook, ‘Vegetables’.
Photo Credit: Laura Edwards