Ingredients for the sauce & the butternut squash cups:
- 4 Butternut squash
- 1 ½ tbsp Palm oil
- 25ml Vegetable oil
- 100g Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Garlic puree
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Vegetable bouillon
- 200g Fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp Chilli flakes
- 150ml whipping cream
- 300ml Water
- ½ tbsp Fresh cracked black pepper
- 5g Fresh rosemary
Method for the sauce
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Prepare the butternut squash by slicing in half just above the bulbous part of the squash. Using a spoon scoop the seeds out the bottom part & then place the seedless butternut cups onto one side of a lightly greased baking tray.
- Peel the remaining top part of the squash & dice into even sized 10mm cubes, add to the other side of the greased baking tray.
- Place the tray of prepared squash into the preheated oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Once the butternut squash is cooked leave to cool until required.
- In a large pan add the oil, palm oil & onions over a moderate heat. Sweat the onions until soft, then add the garlic puree & cook for few minutes.
- Add 100g of roasted butternut squash & mash using the back of a spoon before adding the vegetable bouillon & tomato puree. Give it a good stir.
- Add the diced tomatoes & chilli flakes, cook for 10 minutes until fully cooked & soft.
- Add cream & water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper & taste check. Adjust if needed.
- Remove from the heat & add the rosemary sprigs. Leave the rosemary in the sauce to gently infuse.
Now to make 4 portions of our Calabaza Verdura
- 100ml Vegetable oil
- 200g Onions, finely sliced
- 200g Mixed peppers, finely sliced
- All of the above Calabaza sauce
- 200ml vegetable stock
- The remaining roasted, diced butternut squash
- 1 jar of palm hearts, diced into 10mm roundels
- 100g Baby spinach
- 80g of grated cheddar
- 4 roasted Butternut squash cups
- 4 large sprigs of rosemary
- In a large frying pan add the oil, sliced onions & peppers, cook until the onions start to brown
- Add the Calabaza sauce, vegetable stock, remaining roasted diced butternut squash, palm hearts & baby spinach to the pan and bring to the boil
- While the sauce is coming to the boil, place the butternut squash cups into a preheated oven to warm through.
- Once the sauce has come to the boil, add half of the cheese & fold into the sauce
- Spoon the sauce into the roasted butternut cups & top with the remaining cheese
- Shallow fry the rosemary until crisp & brittle, use to garnish the Calabaza Verdura
- Serve with rice on the side
Recipe courtesy of Las Iguanas